Friday, April 3, 2015

VACCINATE NOW! #measles


The mappyhealth website is provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human services. The website is the result of a contest called Now Trending: #health in My Community to create a web-based application that searched and analyzed twitter data for health topics. This site tracks trending diseases with the help of our friendly social media source Twitter and shows potential health issues that are emerging in the population. The disease I chose to track was Measles mainly because of its recent outbreak and popular topic among social media.  MappyHelath showed that at its peak #measles received 277 tweets. This was not surprising seeing that there was an increase in measles cases and outbreaks in 2014-2015. I think that this website is definitely worth exploring, it’s interesting to see the breakdown based on a geographic location!

References
Tweets about Measles. (n.d.). Retrieved April 3, 2015, from http://nowtrending.hhs.gov/by_taxonomy/Measles
U.S. Multi-state Measles Outbreak 2014—2015. (2015, February 23). Retrieved April 3, 2015, from http://www.cdc.gov/measles/multi-state-outbreak.html

1 comment:

  1. Hello there Connie! I was reading over your mappy health post about measles and I didn’t know it was so popular on twitter! It does make sense though that there was an increase in measles cases and outbreaks in 2014-2015. I took your advice and explored mappyhealth.com myself, and you’re right! It was worth exploring! So many diseases and tweets about them, I really enjoyed some of the tweety birds stories as well! Overall I got to say, this was an AMAZING blog. Hard work and dedication was definitely put into it.
    -Hamey, SN

    ReplyDelete